Sunday, July 17, 2005

Grocery stores, bitchy kids and other fun stuff

So I'm making a roast tonight. Looked in my freezer and realized I had no carrots. I can't have a roast without carrots! That's like illegal or something! So I sent my daughter out to get carrots at the grocery store. Yeah I'm a real bitch. I have no car while Scott's in Ohio, so I made her walk. In my defense, the store is only 4 blocks away and she's able-bodied. Anyway, she came home and started telling me about some of our neighbors. She was walking by this house down the block and this little girl in the front yard says "hi". Ash said hi back and kept right on walking. A second later, this lady sticks her head out the door and manages to throw a bunch of dirty looks at my daughter as she walked on by. She got to the store, picked up what we needed (I added a couple of small items to the list. Why waste energy?) and was coming back. In the same front yard as earlier, there was a little boy in the front yard. He didn't say anything, but as she got further away from the house, this little kid (no older than 7) starts screaming "Fatty!" to my daughter. Now my daughter is no twig, but she is FAR from fat! I just can't believe how some people raise their children these days. No supervision. No manners. Rude as hell! I gotta say, when my kids were that little, if they'd have done something like that...their butts woulda been red and it would have been a LONG time before I let them play outside without supervision again.

My roast turned out really well, by the way. We ate hearty and complained of full stomachs for two hours after supper. Ever do that? Just eat so damn much because something is so good that you end up regretting it for hours after? It's stupid really. I don't eat much anymore these days (thanks to Wellbutrin and my thyroid medicine) so to eat so much that I felt sick was just out of character for me now! I eat so little now, I lost 22lbs in 45 days! I feel really good about that. I can't wait until it is more.

Having a stroke is a huge wake-up call for how you live your life. I realized the things I'd been doing to myself to precipitate that stroke. They say I had a small blood clot in my brain, but that my heart and my arteries looked really good, so I guess it wasn't all my fault. Just one of those things that happens, I suppose. But it didn't take much after the stroke to convince me I need to change a few things about myself. It will take time, but I know I can do it. I'm one of the strongest people I know!

Footnote: The neurology department at UW-Madison Hospital is incredible! There are some really great, caring people there. It was very comforting to know I had the best of the best working on my case. I will never forget those folks!

1 comment:

Northwoods Woman said...

Congrats Andi! I'm glad you are doing better!