Sunday, January 28, 2007

Lunesta (actualy, LOONesta read on and you'll see)

So I've always had a helluva time sleeping. I don't have a problem with just getting to sleep, but I also have a problem staying asleep as well. I've had this problem for probably my entire adult life (at least as far back as I can remember). For this problem, I was taking Ambien. It didn't do shit. And when I say "shit"...I mean nuttin, nada, bupkiss, zero, zilch, jack diddly squat...NOTHING! So I went to see my good ol' doc last week and asked her what her thoughts were on the subject (being sleep-deprived a lot of times means ya can't even think for yourself anymore) and she told me she thought I should try Loonesta. Now I know it's really spelled L-U-N-E-S-T-A, but it makes ya so damn loony, I'll spell it my way, thank you very much. The first night I took it, I'll admit, it made me a little drowsy and I slept ok for the most part. I was having this dream that to me seemed more vivid than I had normally remembered my dreams to be. I didn't attribute this to the medicine and moved on with my day. Later that morning, I noticed that every damn thing I ate or drank had such a nasty bitter taste to it, that I couldn't eat or drink anything at all! Everytime I tried, I felt sick because the taste was so bad. I thought maybe I was sick or something, and again...moved on with my day. I've been on the Loonesta now for about 4 days. It's been 4 days of nasty, awful, terrible, rotten bitter tasting EVERYTHING (except things made of chocolate, go figure) and nights filled with just the most vivid, colorful, strange dreams. The dreams don't even feel like they're mine. The only way I can clearly describe it is that it feels like I'm trippin!! The colors are sooooo vivid, the dream is so unreal, yet unbelievably life-like!! The dreams wake me up about 3-4 times a night...and when they wake me, it feels like I'm not me. The dreams don't have me in them, they're not about me...and I don't recognize anyone in them. I'm having SOMEONE ELSE'S dreams!!

This prompted me to do a little Googling on the subject...here is what I found.
When you click here basically what it says is that a shitload of other people have the same problem I have. Exactly...to the letter, same kind of problem. Then...when you click here it says a lot of the same things on the other page only in more detail than before.

I can't believe I finally have an answer to why I've been feeling like I have!
Tonight...it's back to Ambien, let's see what happens.

P.S. I felt so shitty yesterday that I actually had to walk out of my son's wrestling meet and leave him with his dad so I could come home. I've never missed ANYTHING my kids have done outside of school. I was REALLY upset. Fortunately, my boy was really understanding and didn't give me too much of a hard time about it.

1 comment:

GUYK said...

I have some problems sometimes getting sleep..but I have found that when my body gets tired enough I get the rest and the more I worry about not getting enough sleep the harder it is to go to sleep.

Some year ago I went through stress management training where I learned some techniques for relaxing and most of the time if I remember and use these techniques I am able to doze off..

It is ironic that now I am nearly 65 years old I have problems sleeping when I really can sleep all day if I could..back when I was young I learned to sleep whenever I got the chance because some days and nights there were not many chances..