Monday, December 05, 2005

My moving story (and I'm sticking to it)

Ok so I know you all have been waiting with baited breath to hear my moving story.

First of all, as I've already declared...it was the coldest day. And it snowed to top it all off!

We had hardly anyone to help us move. Basically one of Scott's brothers came to help us load up the truck and another one came to UNload the truck. Little did we know that brother #1 would leave as soon as we got to the new house. We used his pickup truck to haul Scott's Harley down here. According to what brother #1 is saying now, he thought he had to come up, pick up the bike and leave. He showed up at 10:30am with attitude and kept it the entire time we were moving. He's a real piece of work.

We had a 26' truck, 2 cars and a pickup truck and still ended up leaving some things behind because there just wasn't enough room to take it all. Thanks to brother #1, that is. He was in such a hurry to get things done, he wouldn't even let Scott take time to stack things nicely in the truck so there would be enough room for everything. My husband is an AMAZING man when it comes to moving. He has this uncanny ability to pack more shit in a truck than you would ever think would fit in a truck. I have to admit, when it comes to the physical aspect of moving, I'm not much help. I try really hard, but somehow always seem to fall a bit short of what everyone else is doing. We all know this about me, so most times I'm the packer/unpacker/cleaner in these scenarios.

Anyway, on with my story. We get the vehicles packed up and by now it's probably 5:30'ish. It's already dark and we still have to drive 3.5 hours in the snow and cold and unpack this damn truck! We stopped once on the way because us adults got sick of the kids whining about food (damn kids, always wanting something..."feed me" "gimme something to drink"...blah blah blah) LOL kidding. So we stop at Taco Bell. Brother #1 gets pissy about that too.

Ok, so we finally get to the new house. By now it's 10pm and we're tired, cranky and cold as hell! The kids no longer wanna do anything but play (understandably, of course). My daughter stands up and declares she shouldn't have to work because in her own words "I don't live here". She can be so sweet! She ended up going into one of the empty rooms and fell asleep. So much for her help. I swear they were dropping like flies.

Now, lemme tell you something about brother #2. He is a MULE! He moves like no one I've ever seen before and never once did he bitch about anything. I really like that guy! His wife is pretty cool too. He showed up here at 10:15pm (just as brother #1 dumped off the bike and split) and he stayed here with us til 4am. On his way home, he got a flat tire. I felt so bad about that.

Keep in mind, I had not slept ONE WINK in almost 48 hours. It's hard to be up that long and my body was seriously starting to shut down. I worked as hard as I could considering I was tired, sore and VERY cold! We managed to unpack the entire truck, aside from the boxes that were packed in the very back. We shut the truck and called it a night about 4:15am.

The next day we got up and the boys hauled butt with a dolly and got all the boxes in. My daughter called her boyfriend to see if he'd come over and help. He and his friend came to "help" a little while after that. They didn't do anything (aside from keeping my daughter occupied). I expected as much.

The Uhaul now being unpacked and everything is in the house, Scott and I decided to take the truck back. My loving husband looks at me and says "Where's the Uhaul key?". I said "ME? I haven't seen it. I never had it.". He looks at me and says "oh shit". We turned this house upside down 12 times over. We found no Uhaul key. We looked in every nook and cranny, every box, every corner, every snowflake, every pocket. No key. So I call Uhaul to find out what to do. The conversation went something like this:

Uhaul asshole: What is the nature of your problem?
Me: We can't find the Uhaul key.
Uhaul asshole: What does that mean?
Me: Can't find. As in lost, don't know where it is, you know...CAN'T FIND.
Uhaul asshole: Oh, well what can I do for you?
Me: Well, I wanted to call and find out what we needed to do now.
Uhaul asshole: Well, you'll have to call a locksmith at your expense.
Me: Then what happens? I've never done this before. Does he make a new key? How does that work?
Uhaul asshole: Well ma'am, I really wouldn't know, as this is NOT my problem!
Me: Some help you are!
*click*

I relayed the message to Scott. He called all troops in to find the key. We still found nothing. I called the locksmith. It was 5pm on a Saturday night. I asked him how much it would cost to send someone out here. He said $56 plus the cost of the keys if they could get the code off the steering column. If not, it would be about $100. I said fine...and he said he'd be out in about an hour and a half. He showed up about 6:30pm and went to work. Half hour later, he knocks on the door. He got the code and made the key. Scott goes into the coat closet, grabs his jacket and slips it on. He sticks his hand in his pocket and realizes he has a huge hole in his pocket. He pulls something out of it and tosses it beside me on the steps. Alas!! The Uhaul key!!! Turned up JUST as the locksmith showed up with the key (which by the way was the wrong key...he read the code wrong lol). It had fallen into the great abyss of his jacket lining. We paid the locksmith $48 for coming out and took the truck back. We laugh about that now, but I assure you...it was SO NOT funny when it happened.

It is 10 days later now. We're in the house, just getting every little thing just so. Putting pictures up. Turning our house into a home. I'm so happy it's over. Scott and I have talked it out. Next time, we hire movers!

2 comments:

Northwoods Woman said...

Damn that sounds like you inherited my karma! lol

GUYK said...

I have moved so damn many imes I can't count them. I enjoyed moving into a new location and the new job but withing a couple of years I was ready to move again. Part gypsy I guess. If I wasn't so old I'd sell out and move again-I kind of want to try living on Lake Texhoma but old age has got me finally