Thursday, September 29, 2005

So I was thinking...

Does anyone remember ever having telephones in their classrooms as children? (No fair Guy, we all know telephones didn't exist back then *giggles*) I don't ever remember having a telephone in my homeroom or any other room for that matter. My son just called me from his homeroom. I mean really from his homeroom! Practically right from his desk! I can hear his teacher in the background, talking. And he calls...

Was it important you ask?

Was a limb falling off?

Was he near bleeding to death?


NO SIREE BOB!

He was calling home to ask if his friend Dustin could come over after school so they could practice their band instruments together!

It is so hard for me to fathom HOW he managed to get the teacher to OK that phone call!

Here's how the scenario plays out in my head...

My son: Pardon me, Mrs. E...may I use the phone to call my mom?
Mrs. E: What for?
My son: I need to find out if Dustin can come over to my house after school.
Mrs. E: Why sure!!! Wanna call Kansas too?? Please, help yourself to the phone! NO, I mean it...REALLY!! Take it with you!

What is WRONG with these schools now-a-days??? They have NO money for school nurses anymore, so if your child gets sick, he/she runs down to the office where the secretary hands the kid a phone to call mom or dad and have them picked up. Yet...they have enough money to install telephones in EVERY classroom for the children to use freely??

Ya know, they have computers and a place to eat too. All they need to do is install Play Station 2 and I'll never see my son again!

3 comments:

Timberwolf said...

Been there. My 13 yr old wants her own cell phone.

I said I'd think about it.

I'll be thinking about it a long long time LOL.

Nice post.

Andi said...

Oh I hear ya! My 12-year old stepson has a cell phone that his mother bought him. I don't get it at all! WHO could possibly call him with something so important he'd need to take that call RIGHT NOW???

Nancy said...

It could be that your son "earned" a prize for good behavior, ect.. and the prize was a phone call to his parent. He was probably SUPPOSED to tell you that..lol

I wish I'd had a phone in my room. I could'a made some real quick and dirty phone calls home to some moms and dads!!!

And they wouldn't have been something the student would have enjoyed...

But I HAVE used my cell phone to let a child tell his/her parent some good news (high test grade, good behavior day), though never when there were other students in the room.