Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Short vacations

Every morning, I watch CNN's Headline News for a couple of hours so I can get caught up on what's going on in the world. Of course, the news is filled with dramatic scenes from the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. My heart and thoughts go out to all those affected by this terrible tragedy. So many lives lost at the hands of mother nature. It is very sad, indeed.

Amongst all the tragedy and horror of the hurricane, we see our president. Our Commander in Chief. Our Leader (or something like that). The story goes something like this:
President Bush today will be cutting short his vacation to head back to Washington D.C. to help provide a plan following Hurricane Katrina. The president will be flying into the hurricane-stricken areas to see for himself the massive destruction left in the path of the hurricane.

I'm watching, I'm listening. Taking it all in. And all I can think is "It's about damn time!". The hurricane hit Sunday and Monday and made a path of destruction throughout the southeastern part of the United States, leaving homeless, injured and dead in its wake. Not once did I hear about President Bush, his plans or anything he had to say on the subject at all! Now all I hear is how he has to cut his vacation short. Poor President has to leave his vacation early.

Hurricane Katrina hit and the country as a whole set themselves in motion lending support in a multitude of ways. Rescuing people from the rooftops of their homes, assisting the injured and dying, sending money and supplies and offering refuge to those left homeless, from the storm. All the while, the president was "on vacation". Personally, I think the president should have stayed on vacation and allowed us Americans to do what we do best...protect and support our own.

That's my humble opinion anyway.

No comments: