Monday, August 08, 2005

Weekend hell!

I rose from my bed, rubbed my eyes, and sat on the edge of the bed. Looking out the window, I marveled at the kind of day that was unfolding before me. I got up, did my business, got dressed and started upon my glorious day. First we went rummaging so I could pick up some cool glass pieces for my artwork. We went to 6 different sales, and managed to pick up some really good stuff. After rummaging, we drove to the Harley shop to pick up some parts for Scott's bike. Then we went to the driving range down the road from the Harley shop and hit some balls for an hour or so. What a fantastic day! The sky was blue, it was warm but not too warm, there was a nice breeze blowing and eagles flew overhead. We took the long way home and took in the beauty of the countryside, picking up some sweet corn on the way home. After getting home, we made some brats and sweet corn and had a nice meal. I was tired. Not bad tired. Being active outdoors tired. So a little before 11pm, we went to bed. The plan for the next day was to get some stuff done around the house, give Scott a haircut and make a nice roast for dinner.

And before you know it...it all BLEW UP IN OUR FACES!!

Let me explain...

The phone rang at 1:00 am. Everyone knows that when the phone rings in the middle of the night, it's not Ed McMahon telling you that you just won $1,000,000! It's ALWAYS bad. Answering the phone, I hear my 11-year old son on the other end. He's clearly scared and very upset. I get him to tell me what's going on. His father is an alcoholic. About half the time, he's real good with our son and there are no problems. Sometimes however, his brain flies out of his head and he does something REALLY stupid! He had taken our son at 5pm on Saturday night to a bar. Yes...A BAR! They stayed there until 9pm and then walked down the road to the Fireman's Picnic going on in town. There they stayed until 12am at which point they walked back to the bar, to get the car and drive home. YES...DRIVE HOME!!! Seven hours of drinking shots and beer and now he gets into the car with our son and drives home. He pushes the clutch in on the car and it rolls backwards, hitting a van. He does nothing. On the way home, he came damn near hitting a truck. They did make it home in one piece, but the best is yet to come. Our son went and laid down in his dad's bed. (Our son's bedroom there has a problem with Ear Wiggs (sp) and he can't sleep there right now). Anyway, he can't sleep very well because he's still shaky from the drive home with his dad. His dad comes into the room and passes out on the bed. A half hour later, our son hears him getting sick in bed. He got up and turned the light on and woke his dad up. He had thrown up all over himself and his side of the bed! Well, his dad, being in the drunken-stupor he was...didn't get up right away. That scared the hell out of my son, so he called me. On the phone, he begged me about a dozen times to find someone to pick him up or come pick him up myself. I didn't know anyone who could pick him up so late, so Scott and I got in the car at 1:30am and drove the 3 hours to pick him up. When we picked him up, he grabbed ahold of me and hugged me so hard, I thought I wouldn't be able to breathe. And we drove home. We got home at 7:30am and went to sleep. Sleeping until 1pm, we lost a half day of work. We managed to get some things done here though, although we were completely exhausted. This weekend, we also have Scott's son (who is also 11) here too. Last night (Sunday), we've all just finished supper, had gone for a walk and when we got home there was a message on the answering machine. It was Scott's ex-wife, complaining because their son wasn't home yet. We had it cleared to keep him for a week, like we have been all summer long. She got pissy because he wasn't home on Sunday afternoon and demanded (to her son on the phone) that he get his ass home NOW. Then she hung up on him. He hung up the phone, and started to cry. He came to me and I held him in my arms to make him feel better. He told us what his mom said and Scott immediately gets on the phone and lets his ex "have it" for upsetting their son. She ended up screaming at Scott too and hung up on him as well. So much for a quiet Sunday! Anyway, we went to bed at 10pm because we were so exhausted from the weekend. At 11:30pm, the phone rings and it's my daughter (she's 16 and lives with her dad). She's upset because she was staying at a friend's house and when she called her dad to ask if she could stay until Tuesday, he lost it! He screamed at her, said she needed to come home right away and that if she didn't get her ass home, he'd call the police and report her as a runaway. So she called me and asked me to work it out. I spent the next 30 minutes on the phone, working out the problem between the two and was able to get them to compromise. I then hung up the phone, looked at Scott and said "from now on, NO ONE answers the phone after 10pm!" I laugh about it now, but I assure you at the time...we felt TRIPLE whammied!! There HAS to be an island somewhere that unreasonable, psycho exe's can be put where they can't get off the island.

Let me know if you find one.

P.S. I DID talk to my son's father last night and ripped him a new one for what he's done. He's in a pickle now, because our son no longer wants to talk to him until he gets help for his drinking. I'll let y'all know how that goes.

3 comments:

GUYK said...

Poor boy, I'm glad you raised hell with the ex. No excuse for that shit. I'm a recovered drunk not an alcohlic because I never went to the mettings, just a drunk-well, maybe an alky too. But I never endangered my kids that way. SHould have went over and slapped him in the cocksucker.

Northwoods Woman said...

Oh Andi I'm so sorry hun hugsssssssssss.

Bonita said...

Isn't amazing how a day can have a turn-around...yours was so great with a quest for art supplies and Harley talk, and corn on the cob, then REALITY hits...sounds like your life is just like mine!