Tuesday, November 08, 2005

This pisses me off!

I just watched 2 hours of the sentencing hearing for Chai Vang. For those of you who have not heard (if you're in a bubble or at the space station or whatever), Chai Vang is the man that was convicted of 6 counts of 1st degree homicide and two counts of 1st degree attempted homicide following a blood bath in the Northwoods of Wisconsin during hunting season, 2004. Now, the issue here is not whether or not he is guilty. That has already been decided. The issue today was to figure out what they are going to do with this murderous bastard for the rest of his life.

I watched for an hour and a half, as the families of the victims came forward one-by-one, telling the court how their lives have changed since their families were murdered, all the while fighting tears myself. I watched as Vang's family stood up and testified on his behalf about what a loving, caring, special man he is. I know they probably have seen a side of him that others haven't, but what he did does not direct anyone to believe that he could possibly have a loving, caring side to him.

Then I watched as Vang himself spoke about the love of this country, the thankfullness he has for his family and friends. I watched him tell a tale about how this whole situation can someday be a lesson for all to love one another regardless of age, race or color. These statements would have carried much more weight within me had they not been given by a man recently convicted of 6 murders and 2 attempted murders. Then he went on to thank the state of Wisconsin for housing him, feeding him and taking care of him for now he no longer has to worry about mortgage payments, paying bills and working so hard and still not having enough money to make ends meet. THAT is the part that pissed me off! All of us...us law-abiding citizens who pay taxes and resolve our issues with one another WITHOUT the use of a weapon have to get up early everyday, go to work and work our asses off to pay taxes so that this murdering man can live in a prison cell, with hot food in his belly, a roof over his head and other amenities I don't believe a prisoned person should receive. And for that, the murderous bastard thanks us! Not once did I hear the man apologize for his behavior. On the contrary, he defended his right to defend himself. Defend himself against 6 people that had no guns. Six people that were fleeing FROM this man and he shot them in the back anyway. How is that defending one's self?

After all the talking was done, the judge began to speak. He spoke of the heinous, heartless crimes this man has committed. He spoke of how there would be no ability to rehabilitate this man for he is not sorry for his crimes. Then the judge did the one thing we have all been hoping would happen for the past year. He sentenced this awful man to 6 consecutive life terms in prison plus 5 years for each crime of murder in the first degree. He then sentenced him to 60 years plus 5 for each crime of attempted murder in the first degree. He has no possibility of parole. He will die in jail. The only thing I can hope for now is that he dies in prison soon. My bankbook can't afford to house him for the rest of his life. If only Wisconsin had the death penalty!

4 comments:

Northwoods Woman said...

I agree to a point. This is no doubt a tragedy, but I'm sure those hunters were flinging racial slurs at him. I know how these hunters up here get about "their territory" they were armed.
But that does not excuse his behavior at all. Hopefully it will teach some of these drunken bums with guns a lesson.

Andi said...

I agree with you there Livey. No one really knows how it all went down. It just never should have ended that way. Shooting an unarmed person in the back is a cowardly way of doing it though, Ya know?

Northwoods Woman said...

I know.

sue said...

I remember when it happened... I wondered what had happened with him. I don't read the news or papers as much as I should. I usually let Hubby do all that (I'm into fiction - he's into the news) then he tells me the highlights. I'm glad I found out. Wow... guess he's gone for awhile, huh?

I'm a little suspicious of the reasons, too... I guess I know some 'responsible' hunters around here, but I also know some real assholes. Just sayin'...