Friday, October 28, 2005

Losing It

Tell me dear readers, how can one tell when they haven't had their antidepressant medication for awhile?


When the garbage man comes too early and you miss him...and a gigantic crying session soon follows.

I could tell last night that things were not going to be great when I was watching a tv show and I found myself unable to stop crying at the end. I told my best friend last night that I just felt like throwing a temper tantrum, crying and just all-around being a brat. This morning that happened.

The garbage man comes at 7:30am without fail every week. We are unable to put our garbage out the night before because the birds always get in it (we have a garbage can, but they still get into the recycling). My alarm is set for 7am every morning and on Friday's I always get up right away (instead of hitting the snooze a million times) and get the garbage out before they come through. Not this morning though. I awoke at 6:58am to the sound of the garbage man next door. I flew outta bed, opened the front door just as the garbage truck was flying by my house. I stood there for a second, and then said "Oh SHIIIIIT!" and slammed the door. That was pretty much it for me. I started crying, went into the kitchen and started the coffee, went to the bathroom and decided I wasn't ready to face the world. I laid in bed for a half hour crying my eyes out. Totally unlike me!

I'm generally a happy-go-lucky person, although I've been dealing with depression from my teenage years on. I can go for years and years and be just fine and then stress hits, and I cope. Major life changes, and I cope. I stuff it, I stifle it, I throw it off to the side...anything so no one will see on the outside how much I suffer on the inside. I did that faithfully until 2003. January of 2003, I was very sick and hurting all the time. I was in a very bad place. It took its toll on me and by the end of the month, I found myself committed to the hospital for a one-week stint of hospitalization and extreme therapy. They'd let me out and I'd be right back a week later. I spent most of spring that year this way.

When things finally got better...it was too late for Scott. I was no longer the woman he married, but someone completely different. I was dependent, needy, clingy and scared. We split up that year. Although we saw each other every weekend and spent some time together, it just wasn't the same. I got better everyday (thanks to medication and some serious counseling), I learned alot about myself and what sets me off, and I became a solid, independent person. That's when Scott and I started talking about living together again. The rest, as they say...is history.

Ya know, I wasn't planning on telling y'all this today, but I got to thinking. I originally started this blog, not just for fun...but for me to have an outlet. I spend the vast majority of my time alone. My kids have school and friends and homework. My husband works ALOT and needs well-earned rest when he's home. That leaves me to myself. I thought I'd start this blog, get out the things that bother me, make me feel good and to share my experiences with others that might understand where I've been and where I'm going. What I've succeeded to do is start a blog that many times is nothing but fluff. I don't talk about important world issues (not that I think I'd start that route, I don't think I have enough awareness to make it intelligible), I don't talk about the feelings, thoughts and experiences I encounter. What I do is...post little jokes, little cartoons and take quizzes. It occurred to me that I've been blogging for almost 5 months and not one of my readers really knows me any better now than they did the day I started. I intend to rectify that.

I know I've shoved stuff back so much, people honestly think my life has always been good, and solid and safe. I've found that those whose blogs are really making a difference are the ones that are written from the heart. I intend to do that too.

I am going to be ok. I know that. I have so much more strength now than I've EVER had and I will never go back to that place. My life is very much worth living and I intend to live a very long time!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound strong.
I thougt for a while you were a man, when reading your post.

Thijs

Aud*2020 said...

That is so fantastic that you were able to not only overcome the depression and learn about yourself, but that you were also able to recover your relationship. You sound like a really amazing, strong person! And super mom, at that...I have a toddler running me in circles and couldn't imagine that x3!

I've also experienced the trash episodes. They come earlier and earlier every week...somewhere around 5am now. GRRR!

Misty said...

Been there, got the t-shirt. Last time I forgot my 'happy tabs' it took me a week to get back to the 'land of the living' again. You're right about life being worth living though :) it's just easier with help, the right medication, a loving dog and good friends! Hang on in there pet! x

Anonymous said...

Well I say damn the garbage man anyway! You know they have this radar in their trucks that tells them whose alarm clocks have not gone off yet and whose has? So they go to THOSE streets first and zip by your house singing NAH NAH NAH NAH and laughing. I can just see you running outside in your jammies stomping your foot saying OH SHIIIIIIT with your hair all lopsided! LOL! Almost like something off the cover of an Erma Bombeck book....Title: "Oh Shiiiit The Garbage Man Was Early!" Chin up honey you know I am here for you and I think you are one of if not THE strongest person I know! I don't know what I would do without my little reporter! I know sometimes things feel overwhelming because I have so been there done that. And who was it that said to me listen up missy this is not acceptible? Things WILL get better. I think a lot of it is you miss Scotto! Just think....it is finally FRIDAY! I love ya!

Northwoods Woman said...

Snap outta it girl, go chase that damn garbage man, naked if you have to! Garbage needs to go!

And the emotional stuff? umm, dear child of mine, why do you read MY blog so faithfully? Think about it hun.

Cumere, cry, I'll hold you, we'll cry together and then we'll go kick some ass!

Love ya, hugsssssss

GUYK said...

If it makes you feel any better, and come to think about it, tehre is no reason that it should, about 90 percent of the people on earth are fucked up in the head and the other 10 pecent are crazy. Just be glad you ain't crazier than a run over dog like some of us are.
Stress is a bitch and a killer. Everyone has it in some form or another and everyone has to learn how to handle it. If crying helps then bawl your eyes out and if anybody says anything tell to come to Florida and I'll deal with 'em. What ever it take to make you feel better mentally then just do it. ( Well, I wouldn't shoot the fuckin' garbage man because they might shoot back) If it helps send me and e mail and I'll send you a picture of me without a hat on covering up my bald head. That will be good for a laugh anyway.

Susan said...

I was a mess myself this past summer. The handed over some anti-deprssants. I am getting better now. But, it doesn't really mean I am depressed, it could be a chemical imbalance. Mine, major anxienty attacks. What's up with that?