Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Prayers and Love

My best friend is one of the greatest people I've ever met. She's kind, funny, straight-forward, strong and yet gentle. She also has a developmentally delayed son. He's 2 years old and one of the cutest little boys I've ever seen. In his short life, he's been through more medical problems than some 40 year olds I know.

His latest issue is called tethered cord. His spinal cord is tethered to the back inside of his body. It extends further than it should and is creating problems for him with regards to developing his standing and walking skills. Today, that little man is in surgery. It's a long surgery that hopefully at the end has a tremendous amount of promise for his future. The surgery is not meant to fix the problems he already has, but to stop new problems from forming. Once the surgery is finished, they intend on keeping him sedated for 3 days in order to keep him from moving around too much. He's such a fantastic little boy and it really pulls on the heart strings to see him going through so much in his life. My love and prayers will always be with that little boy.

Throughout this all, his parents...my best friend and her husband have been like rocks. They have taken everything that life has given them with such grace and patience. As much as they hate what life has given their son, they are stronger now that they've experienced all they have. She's always saying to me that he's their miracle baby and God must have given him to them for a reason. She always believes that if God has this much faith in her, to give her a special needs child...she's going to make of it the very most she can.

She, her hubby and their son have ALL my love today. I wish I could be there with them, to hold their hands and give them the emotional support they so need. They understand why I can't...and they know I'm merely a phone call away. Whatever they need...I will be there.

Hugs to them all!

2 comments:

Northwoods Woman said...

adding my prayers too!

Kim said...

Hugs and prayers for you and your friend, keep us posted :)